Digital cameras are expensive. And a proper underwater digital camera kit is often out of reach for the average traveler.
But, smartphone cameras are a whole lot more affordable. And, now a proper underwater smartphone kit is attainable for even the most budget of budget travelers.
AxisGO water housing is a purpose-built system for “underwater-ifying” your iPhone X. Here’s everything you need to know about it, and why you should consider buying it if you’re a budding underwater photographer or videographer.
AxisGO Water Housing for iPhone – Review
So what is it exactly? Well, according to the manufacturer, the AxisGO water housing for iPhone is:
… the ultimate Smartphone Imaging System. Designed to protect your iPhone from the harshest weather conditions, while offering the freedom to safely capture those special moments underwater. Capture beautiful images and stunning video with ease, then share instantly with full touchscreen sensitivity. AxisGO allows image capture with the phone’s native camera app, plus access to all your favorite applications. Confidently shoot at depths down to 33 feet (10 meters) with the peace of mind knowing your iPhone is safe inside the AxisGO.
Or we could just show you like so …
The Traveler’s Take
To be clear, the AxisGO water housing isn’t the first and only such underwater iPhone case on the market. But, from what I can tell, it’s one of the best designed. The feature set is incredibly solid for photographers who are looking for something more than just a way to waterproof their iPhone.
The latest AxisGo housing includes:
- Functional touchscreen membrane
- Interchangeable Lens port
- Robust top and bottom mounting brackets
- Pistol Grip kit
- Professional quality accessory lenses
- Optical glass
- Anti-reflective and hydrophobic glass coatings
There are plenty of dirt-cheap “me-too” iPhone accessories available online. But, we’re not especially keen on trusting our near-thousand-dollar smartphone investment to a $30 “underwater” case. The brains behind AxisGO, AquaTech Imaging Solutions, have been designing and manufacturing waterproof sport housings for 20 years.
With that in mind, the AxisGO housing is constructed of ultra-durable materials like polycarbonate and machined aluminum. The combination of the two provides extraordinary impact resistance, rigidity, strength, and UV stability. Basically, it’s designed to take a beating and virtually anything your adventurous life on the road might throw at it.
From a practical standpoint, I love that the format feels more like a traditional point-and-shoot camera in your hand than any other comparable case we’ve seen. All of your phone’s functionality remains completely accessible with the case attached. This includes full touchscreen control (swiping, tapping, and pinching) and making/receiving calls.
Every element and accessory of the AxisGO relies on optically clear glass with anti-reflective, hydrophobic coatings to ensure the highest image quality. It’s designed to perfectly match the iPhone’s native camera lenses. And the results are pretty damn sweet:
The base AxisGO waterproof housing works great as a standalone solution for adventurous travelers. But, their lineup of optional accessories really lets you take things to the next level:
All-in, it approaches the usability and versatility of a professional underwater photography kit at a fraction of the cost.
Pricing & Availability for AxisGO Water Housing
The base AxisGo water housing comes in Tactical Green, Sunset Orange, and Seashell White, and retails for USD $249 direct from AquaTech.
That price tag includes a quality neoprene bag, lanyard, and a maintenance kit.
- Waterproof Case fits iPhone X. Functional touchscreen, interchangeable lens port, robust top and bottom mount and superior audio quality
- Single button locking mechanism, use phone's native camera app with access to both the front and rear facing cameras
- Two volume controls built from marine grade stainless steel, these allow for image capture at depths up to 33 feet (10 meters). Designed to use an interchangeable optically correct lens port system.
- Designed to protect your phone from the harshest weather conditions, while offering the freedom to safely capture those special moments while maintaining control of your phone's screen and functions.
- AxisGO is the total package for aspiring to professional water photographers and videographers
Last updated: 2018-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The post AxisGO Water Housing Is an Affordable Way to “Underwater-ify” Your iPhone appeared first on Vagabondish.